The first step to reducing the risks associated with cooling tower biocide is to understand what biocides are and how they work. Biocides are chemicals that are used to kill or control living organisms. While biocides are effective at killing or inhibiting the growth of microorganisms, they can be harmful to humans if they are not used properly. When using a cooling tower biocide, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to avoid potential health hazards.
Here are some known risks involving various types of chemicals associated with cooling tower biocide:
Skin irritation, respiratory distress, and chemical burns
Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if ingested
Skin irritation and stomach upset if ingested
Quaternary Ammonium Compounds
Skin irritation and allergic reactions in some people
Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate
Stomach upset if ingested in large quantities
Skin irritation and stomach upset if ingested in large quantities
Skin irritation, respiratory distress, headaches, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting
The dangers of cooling tower biocide is real and should not be ignored. One way to reduce the risks associated with cooling tower biocide is to implement an industrial hard water descaler into your system. An electronic water descaler is easy to install and once installed, water scale removal begins. Not only does an electronic water descaler prevent new scale from forming, but it also reduces the corrosive properties of the water, which, in turn, controls bacteria and algae. Best of all, an industrial hard water descaler reduces maintenance costs and helps preserve the integrity of cooling tower equipment.